I don't know about you, but this unseasonably warm weather has me thinking more about salad and less about roast turkey. I have made versions of this Strawberry Salad for years and my whole family loves it. Serve with super-easy-to-make popovers and flourless chocolate cake (recipe coming soon) for dessert.
Salad with Strawberries, Goat Cheese and Glazed Pecans
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 6 oz baby kale or baby spinach leaves
- 1½ cups sliced strawberries, stems removed
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, chopped or thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese (or feta cheese if desired)
- homemade balsamic vinaigrette or store bought (I use Marzetti's Simply Dressed Balsamic)
- Options: grilled chicken or salmon
- Melt the butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Toss in the pecans and brown sugar, stirring to coat. Cook over medium heat until the sugar begins to caramelize (about 3 minutes). Spread out pecans on a wax paper lined baking sheet to cool.
- In your salad bowl layer the spinach leaves, strawberries, goat cheese and pecans. Don't pour dressing on salad until ready to serve. Enjoy!
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). Grease and flour six 6-ounce custard cups.
- In a medium bowl beat eggs slightly, Beat in flour, milk and salt until just smooth; being careful not to overbeat. Fill custard cups 1/2 full.
- Bake at 450 degrees F (230 degrees C) for 20 minutes. Immediately remove from cups and serve piping hot.
Serve with butter and honey.